Skip to main content
Topic: Import / Export on Projects and components. (Read 3229 times) previous topic - next topic

Import / Export on Projects and components.

Having put in time setting up an application, only to have it all be corrupted when I tried adding roles / authentication, I realized that it would be nice to be able to export pages, components, or DB field settings etc. etc.  We could then import those pages or components into a new project.

From reading the forums it sounds like there are incompatibilities between projects created in 2.5.5 and 2.5.7, perhaps there should be an import (and if necessary) an export function on project files themselves.

Re: Import / Export on Projects and components.

Reply #1
Hello,

Has this been resolved? I my pages from previous version.

Reply #2
I have seen a warning that a version is being imported, (the whole thing.)

I now save frequently and hope that import/export will show up soon.

Reply #3
 @gab.nimi@gmail.com‍ yes you can import projects to a supported version. You can import a project made with 2.6.* to any phprad 2.6.*, and cannot import such projects to 2.7.*.

Reply #4
Any chance of being able to export a page's settings from one version to the next?

Is there a way to decompile the .ppm, to copy a bunch of settings, and put them into another?  I have remade the same project a couple of times because PHPRad released a new version that fixed something I needed.  This is a huge barrier to using PHPRad for a long term project.

I have some tables named with a prefix, and in order to use them, I have to change the page Header, and the PageTitle on 2 different screens for each page List, Add, Edit etc.

Also, the inability of different versions to coexist on the same windows install means that I can't keep working on an older project and test out the new version of PHPRad.

Reply #6
@robertr
What I do, in windows, is to install the different versions of phprad in different directories.
For example, when there is a new version, I copy C: \ Program Files (x86) \ PHPRad Classic \ *. * and paste into a new directory by adding the version like this: C: \ Program Files (x86) \ PHPRad Classic 2.6.9 \.
Then I update C: \ Program Files (x86) \ PHPRad Classic \ to the latest version -> 2.7.2.
In this way I can continue to edit old projects which would not be compatible with the latest version. Then you manage the shortcuts on your desktop to call the version you need.

Reply #7
The problem with this solution is that if I create a project and a new version of PHPRad is released that has a feature that I want to use, I either start over or start a separate project, but I don't get one of the two do and upgrade in the new version of the previous one.

Reply #8
@robertr‍ sorry for the inconvenience, but there is currently no chance of that.

This makes PHPRad completely useless, wasting an enormous amount of time to rebuild projects every time there is a software update.  Backwards compatibility is essential for any computing resource, otherwise, the software (PHPRad) costs too much in time to make it useful as a development tool.

Sounds like I will be looking for an alternate solution.

Reply #9
Guys

I think what people are forgetting is that if these major changes didn't happen then the system would NOT BE FUTURE PROOF.

Everyone wants the latest functionality, but at some point the 'old' PHPRad solution needs to retired and moved to a more sustainable solution. That is what has happened here.

Yes i completely agree it is annoying that we cannot make our old PPM files immortal, but think how basic PHPRad would be if the architecture it was built on was NEVER changed. We would be stuck with Bootstrap 2 and basic CRUD Functionality. Everything else you would have to code manually.

For people earning money using PHPRad and selling their solutions, remember, you only paid the price of a license to be able to make money. All these people moaning that they cannot keep their old ppm's should maybe think about buying a full priced RAD system such as Wappler. Which i would point out is 39 Euros a month. (468 Euros a year).

PHPRad whilst it does have it's drawbacks on bugs is still a very good tool for the price.

Reply #10
Hello willvin,
could you kindly guide me on how to set up a Form wizzard, only data on last page is saved in the database. if you have a tutorial, you could share. Thanks in advance.