Skip to main content
Topic: Preview Server and multiple installtions (Read 901 times) previous topic - next topic

Preview Server and multiple installtions

Following presales question:

Can I use a remote machine as preview host?
Asking, as I dont wnt to set up a local db server and webserver. I would prefer to use a dev server in the same network as the workstations.

and

Does the per-developer-license include the installation on more than one machine? i.e. working on a desk and a notebook would be helpful.

Thanks,
Alex

Re: Preview Server and multiple installtions

Reply #2
You can use another server for DB / Web.  This is what we all want to do eventually if we publish on the Internet.

I use Windows "Map Network Drive" feature to point my H: to the root of the web server (assuming you are on a LAN here).  Otherwise, publish locally and use an SFTP upload tool to copy the changes to the webserver. 

If you have a HOSTS file editor or access to the LAN DNS, you can point the name of the server ("devserver" in my example) wherever you want.  The same can be done to "dbserver".  You can use the IP address of the server if you want. I find using a name allows me to edit the HOSTS file when I am off the LAN and point both the webserver and the dbserver names to the local machine, or something in my Home office. 

Given the difficulty in changing the DB server settings after starting a project, I would advise that you always use a name not an IP