Skip to main content
Topic: First steps + Question (Read 1010 times) previous topic - next topic

First steps + Question

Just downloaded and playing with the demo for the 2nd time. So far impressed by the possibilities, but also i found a bit discouraging the lack of documentation. Maybe i was not able to find it, but is there something like a full documentation?

Second, there is a question that probably has a simple and obvious answer but i couldn't figure on my own.

Imagine a simple structure with cities and provinces. Each city belongs to a province so in the db table each city has also a province_id field associated, that in turn connects to the provinces. Quite standard and i guess we all use something similar to test.

I figured to how use the OptionListDataSource in the ADD page, but when it comes to the LIST or VIEW page, I can't figure how to display the name of the province instead of the province_id

In the process of testing (trial and error for the most part) found the Master Detail Relation , but that's not what i need for simply displaying the province.

Re: First steps + Question

Reply #1
Hi Ewwgee

welcome! I was also the same a few weeks ago, it is literally trial and error with the help of the forum members where they can.

To show the linked data you need to go to the list page of your table, there is a section  "02. Default Query Configuration"  and then below that it says "Join". This is where you join the data.

I have added a screenshot of mine. Hope this helps.

Cheers

Rob :)

Reply #2
Thanks a lot, will test it during today.

Reply #3
It works.. I admit I was trying a more complex approach, but with PHPRad is quite simple.

Essentially all you have to do is create the proper Join, then PHPRad adds the fields from the joined table to the "List Page Fields" and all you have to do is uncheck the one with the ID and check the one with the corresponding name.

You can link additional tables to create a list page with more fields from those other tables.