Skip to main content
Topic: Generated Applications & Source Code - License Restrictions? (Read 990 times) previous topic - next topic

Generated Applications & Source Code - License Restrictions?

Hello,

I just came across PHP Rad today... It looks very interesting.

This goes without saying... But, I'm going to say it... anyway. My question in no way has anything to do with ripping off the creators of PHP Rad... or stealing licenses or anything remotely shady. I will gladly pay them... each... and every year for the product.

My question solely revolves around what I can and cannot do with the code generated by PHP Rad.

I've seen some "code generators" where their licensing is very restrictive.... One product even has a "generated source code" clause in its license...

"Generated Source Code

When you use the Software under a registered license, you are granted a non-exclusive right to use, modify, and redistribute the source code ("Code") generated by the registered Software provided that you: (a) distribute the Code only for the sole purpose of executing web applications that you have created; (b) do not use any part of the Code to build any other code generators for public distribution or commercial sale. AT NO TIME MAY YOU CREATE ANY TOOL(S) OR SOFTWARE(S) THAT DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY COMPETES WITH THE SOFTWARE WHICH UTILIZES ALL OR ANY PORTION OF CODE GENERATED BY THE SOFTWARE. You MAY NOT REDISTRIBUTE any Code if using the evaluation, trial or demo version of the Software."

I think the clause "AT NO TIME MAY YOU CREATE ANY TOOL(S) OR SOFTWARE(S) THAT DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY COMPETES WITH THE SOFTWARE WHICH UTILIZES ALL OR ANY PORTION OF CODE GENERATED BY THE SOFTWARE" is very problematic.

So, if I buy a license to their product to build my web application, they can come back to me at some later date and sue me because they think my web app "indirectly competes" with their software? That is crazy! 

Before I invest money... and time in PHP Rad, I want to be sure you don't similar licensing limitations on the code generated by PHP Rad.

Are there any licensing limitations on what we can build with PHP Rad?

Thanks,

Steel Phantom

Re: Generated Applications & Source Code - License Restrictions?

Reply #1
@SteelPhantom‍ You are free to assign your PHPRad generated application any license you want, PHPRad does not claim any proprietary license on the generated source code.