Skip to main content
Topic: Newbie questions (Read 511 times) previous topic - next topic

Newbie questions

PHPRad (Vue Edition) seems like a very cool way to do what I need (a web GUI for a database) and I would like to buy it, but I have several issues/questions:

1. Connecting to a database takes ALL tables by default, and automatically checks the boxes for generating the List/View/Add/Edit/Delete pages. There is no simple way to tell it to ignore a table, as far as I can tell. If I have tens of tables in my database, I have to go one by one and uncheck 5 checkboxes? There should be an option to check/uncheck all pages for a table, but there seems to be no right-click menu. Sometimes I get something that looks like it was trying to be a menu, but it's just 2 lines (so, a menu with nothing in it), and other times I don't get anything.

2. The query designed seems to be buggy as well. There are two buttons that seem to be for changing the order of fields in Fields Expressions and Where Conditions. They are named, confusingly, ToolStripButton1,2 and do... nothing. Joining multiple tables results in invalid MySQL code, with a missing space between the final field and the JOIN keyword. Putting in the space by hand makes the code and designer view out of sync, of course.

3. The Page Designer lets me add things from the toolbar on the left via Drag&Drop, but I can't seem to find a way to delete things. I accidentally added an Accordion and now I can't delete it. There's no right-click menu or dragging to a trashcan. How does one delete in the designer?

4. How do I pass things around between pages? I have a table with Students, each with a number of Goals, and I need to see the list of Students to start, then the list of Goals for each Student, then be able to edit each Goal. So, I need to pass the User ID to filter only the Students an User should see, then pass the Student ID to filter the Goals list. I did find the master-detail video for editing the Goal from a list of Goals, but how do I filter the list of Goals by the current Student?

Re: Newbie questions

Reply #1
For #3, it seems the Classic Edition does have a right-click menu for deleting items. That menu does not show up in the Vue Edition on the same computer.

Reply #2
For #1, same as above: the Classic Edition has a checkbox that automatically checks/unchecks all checkboxes for a table. It does not show in the Vue Edition. It seems the Vue Edition is not quite ready for prime time.

Reply #3
@ai4pr‍ please not that the vue version is way behind the classic version, and it is recommended to use the classic version over the vue version, thanks.