Skip to main content
Topic: Why not required field ...is required? (Read 735 times) previous topic - next topic

Why not required field ...is required?

hello all,
I have a field that contains multiple values, comma separated.
In the add/edit pages I've set this field as Checkbox.
  • Options list data source: "SELECT  DISTINCT id AS value,cat_name AS label FROM categories ORDER BY id ASC".
  • Validation required is set to False.
  • Display as: Custom inline.
It all works except when I uncheck all values.
If no checkboxes are checked: the field gets red colored, meaning this field is required. But in this case the field is not required.
Why?
Is this a bug or it is by design and I'm missing something?

I just want to add that this happens ONLY if any checkbox has been checked before.
The problem does not happen if you create a new record and don't touch the checkboxes.
Steps to repeat:
  • create a new record without selecting any checkbox (you can save normally)
  • edit the previuos record and select any checkbox (you can save normally)
  • edit the previuos record and UNselect all checkboxex (you CANNOT SAVE anymore (until you select at least one checkbox))
HTH to find the problem.
TIA
Tony

Re: Why not required field ...is required?

Reply #1
This problem is still unresolved.
And there is a problem even with required checkbox.

Example:
field1 (required): check1.3, check2.3, check1.3
field2 (required): check2.1, check2.2, check2.3

INSERT RECORD:
If you check:
field1: check1.3
field2: check2.3
the record is inserted

UPDATE RECORD:
If you update the record, even without changing the already checked checkboxes you cannot update it since it asks for you to check the requied checkboxes (bug: all unchecked checkboxes are set to required). The only way to fix this is check-unckeck at least one option for every field (time consuming and really bad for customers that will use the application).

THE PROBLEM:
In the UPDATE page all checkboxes that are not checked are set to required. Even if you have already checked one of them.

How can I fix it?
TIA
tony